Constructed in 1877-78, St. Anthony Hall was built as the chapter house of Trinity College’s Epsilon Chapter of the national fraternity of Delta Psi. The overall structure was built to be a “deep polygonal apse.” This is a form that was believed to recreate the octagonal medieval chapter houses of monastic communities. The conical tower enhances the French medieval flavor of the building.
St. Anthony Hall is faced with granite, creating a contrast to the brown shades of Burges’s Portland sandstone Long Walk on the main Trinity Quadrangle. Cady’s St. Anthony Hall features sharp detail in a sober gothic revival style.
In 1878, the John E. Sidman Company of New York completed the construction of Trinity’s Delta Psi chapter house. The Epsilon chapter house was declared a national historical landmark on November 5, 1985.Read More
Summit Street, Hartford, CT at the intersection of Allen Place and Summit Street
- Trinity College Vernon Social Center, Vernon Place Dormitory0.1MI / SE
- Sol LeWitt, Wall Drawing #849: Irregular Blobs of Color, 19980.1MI / SE
- Trinity College The President’s House0.1MI / S
- Handful0.1MI / E
- Trinity College Admissions Building0.1MI / SE
- Trinity College Downes Memorial Clock Tower0.2MI / S
See additional information to the right.
- A forgotten architect of the Gilded Age: Josiah Cleaveland Cady's legacy : Published by Kathleen Curran in the Watkinson Exhibition Catalogs (1993)